Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chocolate Chip Flat Breads



Ok, I admit it. I tried to make cookies and they came out bread-like, so I christened them flat breads. But if you want chocolate chip flat breads, these are perfect!



Ingredients

* 1 cup butter
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/2 honey
* 2 eggs
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups milk or dark chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and honey until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla .Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the creamed mixture. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until light brown. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
*EDIT: Apparently they came out like cake because I used "I can't believe it's not butter" instead of real butter or shortening. LESSON LEARNED

I made my own chocolate chips by melting a chunk of callebaut dark chocolate in the microwave (careful, don't overheat. It doesn't look like it's melted when it actually is: take it out and stir to check).
Once melted, I used the wrong end of a fork (or spoon) to place little dollops of chocolate on a piece of wax paper laid on a tray:



I placed 3 trays (I used cutting boards too - flat surface) in the fridge and left them in there until the chips were completely cold (1/2 hour-1 hour depending on the variables):


Forgive the bad picture.

It was a fun project :)

No comments:

Post a Comment