Sunday, January 17, 2010

Niki's pumkin and carrot curry soup infused with ginger



Ok. This is by far the BEST pumpkin soup you will ever taste. I was wondering what I could make tonight with what I had in the house, aka I didn't want to spend any money. I had 15oz of pumpkin pulp (canned) left over from the pumpkin bars, and I decided to make pumpkin soup. I also had some baby carrots, ginger and celery, so voila: thus is born Niki's crazy pumpkin soup.

Ingredients:
15oz pumpkin pulp
7-8 baby carrots
2 plum tomatoes (or any kind you like)
1 celery heart (with leaves)
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled
1 onion
1T butter
1t minced garlic
2t curry powder
1t sugar
1 bay leaf
1 curry leaf
1 pinch each of:
celery seed
cumin powder
coriander powder
turmeric
chillie flakes

1/2 can coconut milk
1 1/2 cup vegetable stock

Blend tomatoes, ginger, carrots, celery heart and onion. Heat butter in a saucepan, and once melted, add garlic. Saute until fragrant. Add tomato puree, stir well. Add curry powder, stir. Add pumpkin and the rest of the ingredients except the milk and stock. Stir well and heat through. Add stock and milk. Stir well, and let the soup simmer and cook down to desired thickness. Add more stock or milk if desired. Finally add salt to taste.

I had the soup with some Freihofer's hearty 12 grain bread, which positively melted in my mouth. It was divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment